Monday, January 24, 2011

Stepping Out of the Comfort Zone Again

So , I got a subscription to Oxygen Magazine this winter - LOTS of great workout ideas and recipes. Really enjoy it each month.

Well...I found a section called Future of Fitness.

Interesting....

They feature women who have competed or are really getting into fitness.  I decided, what the heck? Sure...1,000's of women send in their profiles and photos each month, but they have to pick at least four per month, why not me? Won't know unless I step out of the comfort zone...AGAIN!!

So, here we go...

Here is one of the photos I sent and below is the questionaire I had to fill out. Thought it could be fun to post here, pretend I've already been selected for the Future of Fitness and this is my "interview" with Oxygen magazine.

It's a bit long..(sorry) but anyway...wish me luck!

Were you athletic in your youth?
 Sort of, but only did volleyball until freshman in high school.


What were some of your athletic accomplishments?
Junior High stuff in track and volleyball…not a big deal.

When did you start working out and what inspired you to do so?
I had an eating disorder (bulimia) that started when I was 13. I started working out in college to break the cycle.*

*more on this in another blog entry


Who is your role model? Why?
Jen and Jesse Dale (aren't they a cute couple?)
For fitness, my trainer and mentor Jesse “The Shark” Dale. He is an exceptional athlete who leads by example in his work ethic and sportsmanship. As my trainer he led me to a new place of confidence and has always been exceptionally patient and giving.

Family: my parents, Ted and Barb Prange who have been married 53 years.

Career: my former boss, Judy Moon of Visiting Nurse Service. Her wisdom, humor and patience were endless.


Are you a more of a cardio woman or a weights gal? Why?
I am definitely a weights gal (I agree with my mentor, cardio is the devil! Lol). Weight training suits my body type and personality. I enjoy the challenge and stress relief of resistance training…cardio…I just do cardio to burn the calories.


What is your favorite cheat food? How often do you indulge?
LOVE Beverly CHOCOLATE Ultimate Muscle Protein!!  Great stuff!! Eat it about every day
Chocolate! I have chocolate in some form every day! That’s why I have chocolate protein powder! And in the off season I’ll have some candy 2-3 times a week.



What is your favorite non-cheat food?
Baked sweet potatoes sliced up with a teaspoon of olive oil. Yummy, sweet and smart carbs!


What is your favorite training move? Why?
I am pretty old school and enjoy the traditional squats, regular or straight leg deadlifts. They are always a challenge but effective. New move I really like are Facepulls – simply AWESOME for upper back.


What is your workout plan like?
I average training five days a week with 3-4 days of cardio. *
*this was before the broken foot...sigh...


What time of day do you workout and why?
Morning work best for me. In the evenings things always seem to come up.


What celebrity are you told you most look like (if applicable)?
Barbara Streisand! Weird…I don’t see it and no one would want to hear me sing The Way We Were…


What do you love most about Oxygen?
Tosca Reno and publisher Robert Kennedy (her husband) teamed up with National Book Network to produce The Eat Clean Diet series of books
The different exercise ideas and that you promote mature women! I am approaching 50 and Tosca Reno is amazing!


Where do you work out (home, gym, studio, community center, etc.)?
 I work out at a gym because of the variety of equipment, good people and social atmosphere. There is a nice group every morning and we have a good time.


Do you prefer training alone or with a buddy and why?
I train alone just because I have to focus, but enjoy having my gym buddies around for spots. It is nice to support each other.


What's your favorite type of cardio?
Elliptical *
*New favorite - Stair Mill - awesome for the gluts!!


What's your best fitness tip (this could be related to training, nutrition, personal attitude, fitness gear, etc.)? Stay focused, consistent and visualize your success


What gets you pumped up the most right before a workout?
Proper nutrition because that way I know I am ready


How do you balance career/school/family and fitness?
God and family come first, so I take my time in the morning so I can be available for my family in the evening. Generally, the house or yard is what ends up being neglected.


Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu


New one I just learned by Theodore Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."


Have you ever competed and if so, how long have you been competing?
I competed in my first figure competition in May 2010 and did one bodybuilding show when I was 25.


What competitions did you compete in and how did you do?
 I was in the OCB Bodybuilding competition here in Greenwood, Indiana. I won the Short Novice Class and placed 5th in Open Class

How do you relax when you’re not working out?
Hang out with my girls and watching mindless TV or read.


What do you always take with you to the gym (list 1–3 items)?
Weightbelt, cell phone and wrist wraps


What is your favorite book and why?
All-time favorite book was Withering Heights, but I am enjoying reading Joel Osteen’s It’s Your Time. Great book!


What is the last movie you saw?
In the theatre: Going the Distance. At home, watched Hope Floats with my boyfriend on Thanksgiving




What music/CD do you listen to when you work out? Why?
I listen to a mixture of Christian music and “thug” music as my daughter’s call it. The Christian music is very inspirational and keeps God at the center. My “thug” music I enjoy because it also has some good messages but with “colorful” lyrics.


What piece of advice would you give to a newbie in the gym?
Do your homework or get a trainer otherwise you will waste your time, burn out and quit.


What is your favorite physical feature and why?
My back is my favorite. It responds well and you can really see the development even in the off-season.


What is your least favorite physical feature and why?
Ab’s because I have a naturally thick waist and have to really work it with the diet.


Who has supported you the most throughout your fitness journey?
My daughters! They saw me when I was at my lowest and recognized that Mom needed this to heal to become the Mom they used to know.


What are your big plans for the future?
To compete in figure at a higher level and to make fitness merge more with my professional life.


On that last set that is so tough that you just want to quit, what is the image or voice that drives you to push yourself one step further?
That I will work harder than any of my competition. If they win – fine – but it won’t be because I didn’t give 100%.


Is there anything else you want to let us know about?
I have a blog (first entry) that better tells my story. But if I have to summarize, this competition was about healing and regaining confidence. It was inspired by God and, big surprise, he was right! (That’s in a blog entry too)


Winning was such a blessing but what really mattered was walking across the stage. I proved to myself that I can step out of my comfort zone. When I did that, I entered the world of possibility. And while I have had some setbacks since the contest, I know that when I put my mind and energy toward a goal I can do it.


The competition also set an example for my daughters. I allowed life and certain people to tear me down. I am not proud of that. But through this contest I led by example that when things happen, you can come out of it and be better for it. It might take some time and effort but it can be done.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! You know they'll pick you. If I was going through the submissions, I'd pick you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeannie for the comment on my post! The kids are eating the same stuff we are. I am lucky to have children who are not picky eaters! My fav now is quinoa. I have been mixing it with all kinds of veggies. I will appreciate any recipes you would like to pass along! Great blog today. You really blow my mind. I agree with Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie thanks for the comments. All things happen when we listen to that small voice inside. Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete